The Idaho Silver Jackets team is a coalition of federal and state agencies that work together to develop comprehensive and sustainable solutions to Idaho's flood hazard issues. The Idaho Silver Jackets team brings individuals from different agencies and expertise together to facilitate communication, share information, and provide 'one-stop' for local and state governments to obtain information and identify solutions to reduce flood hazards. The Idaho Silver Jackets Team was formally established in July 2009.
Serve as a catalyst in developing comprehensive and sustainable solutions to flood hazard issues, including mitigation planning, flood hazard mapping, risk reduction activities, and response and recovery planning.
The core member agencies will establish a continuous inter-governmental collaborative team working with other state and federal agencies to:
- Increase and improve flood risk communication and outreach among local, state, tribal, and federal agencies;
- Provide assistance in identifying and prioritizing actions to reduce the threat, vulnerability, and consequences of flooding in the State of Idaho;
- Facilitate strategic planning and implementation of life-cycle mitigation, response and recovery actions to reduce the threat, vulnerability, and consequences of flooding in the State of Idaho;
- Create or supplement a process to collaborate identify issues and implement or recommend solutions;
- Identify and implement ways to leverage available resources and information between agencies;
- Increase and improve flood risk communication and outreach;
- Promote wise stewardship of the taxpayers’ investments;
- Develop more comprehensive state flood risk management policies and strategies;
- Develop advanced hydrologic predictive services to reduce loss of life and property damage from flooding.
THE TEAM'S GOALS ARE TO:
- Ensure continuous collaboration for flood and other natural hazard mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery activities before, during, and after disaster events.
- Provide a forum for examining non-structural and structural solutions for flood risk management.
- Learn about partner agency programs, identifying limitations and opportunities, and combine programs to create integrated, comprehensive, and sustainable solutions.
- Create a multi-agency technical resource for Tribal, State, and local agencies.
- Provide assistance in updating Tribal, State and local mitigation plans, and in implementing identified high priority actions.
- Collaborate to combine resources and identify gaps to minimize duplication of effort.
- Catalog and share information on past and future flood projects and initiatives.
- Improve flood hazard mapping, risk analysis, and links to hydrologic prediction tools.
- Promote development of spatial data resources in support of flood risk analysis and communication.